Saturday, April 1, 2017

Love my Sparkly Belly

Sparkly Belly: Shorts Tutorial

Recently, I have been really getting into making my own costumes.  Being 7 months postpartum has some of my costumes not fitting me properly anymore, especially the bra area...  I'm really sad about that but I thought, "Why not make my OWN costumes?"  That way I'm not spending $400-$800 on a new costume.

I stumbled upon SparklyBelly, owned by Mao Murakami.  It's an amazing website full of inspiring ideas and tutorials!  The one I posted above is for making stretchy shorts for under costumes.

When I received feedback from the judges at Tokyo International Bellydance Competition in 2014, one comment came out at me:  wear a garment that matches the color of your costume.  My costume had a nude insert but when dancing, it can look like I have nothing there!  I had a purple costume that I was re-working, so I made shorts out of it and I still use them today!

Are you not handy with a sewing machine?  A suggestion I could give is swimsuit bottoms.  They always come in a variety of sizes and are relatively inexpensive.  You can also visit google and search for "dance shorts".  These are also lighter and thinner than bikini bottoms and still inexpensive.

I'm a firm believer in wearing the proper undergarments for dance!  Also, make sure it's not leaving a line on your costume, as that is not aesthetically pleasing either...  HOWEVER, it's important that when an audience member accidently gets a view of your underskirt, they are not thinking "OMG!  I saw underwear!"  or worse yet "OMG I saw....  nothing....."

No comments:

Post a Comment